Friday, February 25, 2005

Terminal Pain

I haven't posted for quite a while so there's a lot of things I have missed. I'm going to see if I can remember them now.
I have bought a few new things. I bought a CD. Headstrong. I'm not too sure why. It cost me £2.99 inc. shipping. So it was cheap, and it's quite good. I bough more CDs; 100. I needed more blanks so I bough 100 80min CD-Rs and a CD carry case that holds 240. That cost me about £18-£19 for the CDs and wallet. Although I didn't receive a direct reply, I have now received a dispatch notice on Broken Sword. A happy stab in my initial pessimism.

What else? I got weighed. I came out at 53kg. Which puts me in the -57 weight category, that's the one before the bottom one which is -49. This is for the competition I mentioned in a previous post.

Last night I stupidly stayed up until about five trying to compress the sound files in my copy off Broken Sword 2. I downloaded 'scummvm-tools-0.7.0' and I was using 'sword2mp3' correctly as far as I can tell. But it comes up with an error.

This is how it say's to use it:
Usage: /Users/scud/Desktop/scummvm-tools-0.7.0/sword2mp3 file.clu

Params:
--mp3 encode to MP3 format (default)
--vorbis encode to Vorbis format
--flac encode to Flac format
(If one of these is specified, it must be the first parameter.)

MP3 mode params:
-b is the target bitrate(ABR)/minimal bitrate(VBR) (default:24)
-B is the maximum VBR/ABR bitrate (default:64)
--vbr LAME uses the VBR mode (default)
--abr LAME uses the ABR mode
-V specifies the value (0 - 9) of VBR quality (0=best) (default:4)
-q specifies the MPEG algorithm quality (0-9; 0=best) (default:2)
--silent the output of LAME is hidden (default:disabled)

Vorbis mode params:
-b is the nominal bitrate (default:unset)
-m is the minimum bitrate (default:unset)
-M is the maximum bitrate (default:unset)
-q specifies the value (0 - 10) of VBR quality (10=best) (default:3)
--silent the output of oggenc is hidden (default:disabled)

Flac mode params:
[params] optional arguments passed directly to the encoder
recommended is: --best -b 1152

--help this help message


If a parameter is not given the default value is used
If using VBR mode for MP3 -b and -B must be multiples of 8; the maximum is 160!

I get:
SCUDs-Computer:~ scud$ /Users/scud/Desktop/scummvm-tools-0.7.0/sword2mp3 --mp3 /Users/scud/Desktop/scummvm-tools-0.7.0/Music1.clu
sh: line 1: lame: command not found
Got error from encoder. (check your parameters)
Encoder Commandline: lame -t -m m --vbr-new -b 24 -q 2 -V 4 -B 64 tempfile.wav tempfile.mp3

It doesn't matter which type of encoding I select it always comes up with a similar error. I think it might be something to do with me not having the encoders. I looked up the individual encoders it mentions. I downloaded some stuff too, but I don't understand any of it, it's all technical lines of code and stuff and talks about compiling things.

There is a utility for the PC. That looks like it makes it really easy to convert the monster.sou files of LucasArts SCUMM games. But there's two problems I have with this, 1. I don't have a PC and 2. It's *.clu not *.sou file I want to convert.

No comments: