Tuesday, February 01, 2005

So what I was doing was writing a post here before I got distracted for quite a while talking to my mother on Skype and discovering that I'm a SCUMM idiot.
I was working my way through the day, yes, right. Back to the beginning. eBay item. Which reminds me I must leave feedback for that item and then proceed to buy all the other Old LucasArts games that I know they released on the Mac but I have had to jealously sit by and watch my friends play on the PC.
Yes then I had a fun five and a half hour stretch in uni, no break. Well, no timetabled break anyway, we did however manage to catch ten minutes here and there where lectures, seminars and workshops finished early. There was something in the lecture today though that inspired me. It was something to do with variables and creating elements of gameplay. It just showed me how much possibility there is to create nice little game elements with just 0s and 1s. It reminded me about Inform. You can check it out yourself if you like. I started going through the tutorial before and then stopped but I was really enjoying it and I have a dream to create a masterpiece with it. To add to that The Guide was mentioned in a lecture on adaptation later in the afternoon. He made reference to the Infocom game and that it can be played on t'internet nowadays. There's a fancy updated version on the BBC site. I first played the text adventure when a friend of mine found an old box full of Infocom floppies and realising they were Mac disks let me borrow them. Of course it was then a struggle to get them of the floppies because we had to get the old dusty beige machine out of the wardrobe and then fiddle around with odd disks to get them onto my computer.
So I came here with the intention of learning some Director lingo but have done no work.

No comments: