Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Norwegian Day

Cathrine with a Norwegian flag drawn on her shoulder.
Today, May 17th is apparently the national Norwegian day. A day when all Norwegians can celebrate being Norwegian. I would have thought this an excuse for a bit of joyful novelty and most importantly a piss up. However excuse it seems not to be. I was bemused to see the donning of suits in preparation for a national parade. Serious suits. 'Need to impress the girlfriend/boyfriend's upper class parents' suits. There was real patriotism there. It just scares me a little because I hate patriotism, almost as much as religion. Well O.K. no where near as much as religion, but still... I'd call it national arrogance but that sounds spiteful.
Hmmm.. time for some irony. I don't like it because it's number one on this list of sins. Funny eh? I hate religion but here I am using an example from some thing religious for my own purposes. Well, It's not religious, it's a pertains to virtue and virtue is not something dependent on religion. Ahh, I love a good ole senseless rant.
I'm a bit of an extremist nutter anyway. I begrudge the two minutes that society squeezes me into giving for remembering war. I don't want to remember war, it's bad and nasty. The only sense it needs to be remembered is 'Oh, that was nasty, better not do that again eh?'. Plus I'm trying to shop. And it's eerie, like something from sci-fi when everyone just .. stops.. willingly. That's some freaky ass hypnotism shit.
Cathrine and Christine dressed for their national Norwegian day.
Yeah, well I liked Guernsey liberation day more. That was the ironic alcohol fuelled kind of patriotism that I can get along with.
YAY! Guernsey!

No comments: