Thursday, April 28, 2005

AVP ... Adium vs Proteus

My legs hurt. On account of Taekwondo tonight at the place on Alma road. It might also have something to do with me missing Monday's class and being quite stiff. I missed Monday's class because I was ill over the weekend. The illness probably didn't help my fitness much either. Although the pain could simple be from knocking them against other peoples legs.

I'm torn between two IM clients at the moment. Adium and Proteus.
I got Proteus because when I was rushing to get an IM client that would work around the university's port plugging fetish. I overlooked Adium at the time because I rushed through the preferences and didn't see the little checkbox that says "Use the HTTP connect method" or the blatant entry field for the port under the heading "Server". So I was using Proteus, and I liked it. It certainly beats MS Messenger. But now I'm using Adium and I'm not sure which I like more. Proteus seemed to have better handling over the status side of things, but Adium is nice in so many other ways. I haven't been using it for long, so I think what I need to do is check out the extras and then make my decision.
One thing that bugged me about Proteus was that when mail came through, I couldn't go straight to that email. Adium can't do that either as far as I know only MS Messenger can. But when I got a mail through on Adium it told me who it was from in a pop-up. That was nice I thought.
The great thing about both is the fact that you can have a display picture, something that it seems stupid MS Messenger can't do.
Combining more than one service into one client is another major benefit of both.
Another thing that Proteus did that was annoying was close the message windows when it disconnected. Which happens quite a with MS' messenger service. The automatic reconnect I like but it did play on my mind that someone may have said something to me while I was out of the room, got disconnected, reconnected and then it looks as if nothing ever happened when I got back in the room. This probably never happened because no one wants to talk to me, but if it did ... how would I know? Simple, check the message logs that I believe Proteus keeps. But I can't be bothered to do that. It's probably more than two clicks away.
I found Adium had it's own little disconnect reconnect horror though. After leaving my computer for several hours I returned to find my screen littered with alert messages, every time it reconnected to MS messenger service it told me I had mail. That alert box only goes away if you 'OK' it. There where a few that needed closing, it was a bother. I suppose that would be really handy for individual new mail though. You wouldn't miss them when out of the room.
Anyway, if you're using a Mac and Instant Messaging with either MS Messenger or more than one client, I highly recommend picking up either a copy of Adium or Proteus

No comments: